Education & Clerkship
- J.D., with highest honors, University of Utah S.J. Quinney College of Law (2010)
- B.A. in English, Rice University (2006)
- Law Clerk to the Hon. Jay Bybee, United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit (2010-11)
- Law Clerk to the Hon. Lee H. Rosenthal, United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas (2011-12)
Razvan Ungureanu is an experienced trial and appellate lawyer who successfully represents plaintiffs and defendants in state and federal courts across the country. As a trial lawyer, Razvan prepares his cases for victory at trial—by uncovering the evidence that matters, preparing witnesses for their testimony, effectively cross-examining the opposition, and developing the trial themes that resonate with juries. As an appellate lawyer, Razvan crafts effective, thorough (yet concise) arguments that persuade judges.
Since joining SKV in 2012, Razvan has represented companies and individuals in a wide range of cases, including class actions, multi-district litigation, high-stakes commercial disputes, and bet-the-company litigation. Razvan is also an Adjunct Professor of Law at the University of Houston Law Center, where he teaches Complex Litigation and Conflict of Laws, two of the most challenging courses in the law school’s curriculum.
Before joining SKV, Razvan was honored to be selected for two consecutive federal clerkships. Razvan served first as a law clerk to the Honorable Jay S. Bybee of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, and next as a law clerk to the Honorable Lee H. Rosenthal, Chief Judge of the Southern District of Texas.
Razvan was elected to the Board of Trustees of the Summer Science Program, one of the oldest alumni-run astrophysics and biochemistry programs for gifted high school students in the nation. During his tenure on the Board, Razvan chaired the Nominating Committee and served on the Audit, Admissions, and Corporate Governance Committees.
A native of Romania, Razvan is an avid chess player and has competed in the World Chess Open. Whether in the tournament halls or in the courtroom, Razvan’s singular goal remains the same: checkmate the opposition.
- Obtained complete victory for Colorado-based oil and gas company in arbitration brought by royalty owner/lessor seeking over $100 million in damages.
- Won complete victory for Fortune 500 energy company primarily engaged in the Liquefied Natural Gas business in a dispute involving a $2 billion contract with one of the world’s largest integrated energy companies. In an ICDR arbitration, the three-member arbitration panel unanimously agreed with the client’s positions, rejected all contrary claims, and awarded SKV’s client all costs, including SKV’s attorney’s fees.
- Successfully represented Enduring Resources II, LLC in lawsuit against a subsidiary of American Energy Partners arising out of Enduring’s $2.5 billion sale of oil and gas interests in the Permian Basin.
- Successfully represented Shell Offshore, Inc. in accounting and contract disputes with other major oil companies over the operation of offshore drilling platforms in the Gulf of Mexico.
- Successfully defended Venator Materials, PLC, a UK-based chemicals company, in overlapping state and federal court class actions arising from its 2017 spin off from Huntsman Corporation.
- Successfully defended Fortune 500 managed care company in litigation over reimbursement rates for out-of-network emergency care.
- Successfully defended McKesson Corporation in the Texas opioid multi-district litigation against claims brought by over 50 counties against manufacturers and distributors of opioid medications.
- Successfully represented Shrader & Associates in ERISA, FEHBA, and Medicare Secondary Payer Act litigation brought by Aetna, Humana, and UnitedHealthcare against numerous personal injury law firms in Texas.
- Successfully represented CompleteRx against out-of-state medical center in overlapping state and federal litigation alleging breach of a pharmacy-management agreement.
- Successfully defended Texas hospital system in medical malpractice litigation.
Other Commercial Litigation
- Representing former Ambassador to the United States in federal-court proceeding seeking recognition of a foreign judgment in excess of $500 million.
- Won complete victory for ShopStyle, an Ebates-owned digital shopping platform, in Rule 202 petition filed in Dallas state court by competitor rewardStyle.
- Successfully represented plaintiffs and defendants in numerous lawsuits involving allegations of trade-secrets misappropriation.
- State Bar of Texas
- State Bar of Utah
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Western District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- “Russian Imperial Presence in Literature,” The Sarmatian Review (Feb. 2007)
- “Conflict of Laws,” University of Houston Law Center (Fall 2019 – present)
- “Complex Litigation,” University of Houston Law Center (Fall 2015, Fall 2016, Spring 2019)
- “Use of Bellwether Trials in Multidistrict Litigation,” State Bar of Texas 33rd Annual Advanced Personal Injury Law CLE (July 2017 & August 2017)
- “Rising Star” by Thomson Reuters Super Lawyers, 2016-2021