Education & Clerkship
- B.A., New York University (2009)
- J.D., Yale Law School (2012)
- Law Clerk to the Hon. Joseph A. Greenaway, Jr., United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, 2014-15
Crystal Robles focuses her practice on complex commercial disputes with high stakes for her business clients. She has experience in the healthcare and oil and gas industries, ranging from contract and trade secret disputes to business divorces and securities actions. She has also managed complex multi-district litigation for a major pharmaceutical company.
Crystal has achieved victory for her clients in state and federal court. She has secured dismissals and summary judgments, and negotiated favorable resolutions for both defendants and plaintiffs alike. Crystal works to obtain favorable rulings early in a matter to give her clients a strategic advantage—or end litigation entirely.
Crystal began her career at a top law firm in Houston before clerking on the Third Circuit Court of Appeals for the Hon. Joseph Greenaway. When her clerkship ended in 2015, she joined Smyser Kaplan & Veselka, LLP as an associate before she was elevated to the partnership effective 2020. Before and during her time at SKV, Crystal has enjoyed working on pro bono matters. Crystal has assisted immigrants seeking asylum and most recently helped a pretrial detainee to vindicate his constitutional rights in federal court. Outside of work, Crystal enjoys spending time with her two German shepherd dogs and volunteering with the Greater Houston German Shepherd Dog Rescue. She is an unrepentant fan of the Houston Astros.
- Obtained summary judgment for defendant healthcare company accused of tortious interference with physician non-compete;
- Obtained summary judgment for plaintiff healthcare company against insurance company that refused to honor Director & Officer coverage;
- Obtained summary judgment for defendant healthcare company in dispute concerning asset purchase agreement;
- Successfully defended pharmaceutical company in complex multidistrict litigation;
- Achieved favorable settlement for plaintiff manufacturer whose trade secret formula had been misappropriated by a vendor;
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit